HC refuses stay in proceedings against Kumaraswamy
Bangalore: In a legal setback to former Chief
Minister HD Kumaraswamy, Karnataka High Court on Tuesday refused
to stay proceedings initiated against him and his wife in a
lower court on a private complaint, alleging corrupt practices.
Admitting a petition by Kumaraswamy, Justice KN
Keshavanarayan declined to grant stay, observing a prima facie
case has been made out and there is a statutory bar for grant
of stay on proceedings of a case filed under Section 19(3)C of
the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Kumaraswamy had challenged the proceedings initiated by the
Lokayukta court and the Aug 8 summons issued by it directing
him to appear before the court today.
In another setback, the Lokayukta court today rejected the
anticipatory bail applications of Kumaraswamy and his wife
apprehending arrest in the case.
Judge Sudhindra Rao rejected their applications on the
grounds they may tamper with evidence if granted bail.
However, in a temporary reprieve for Kumaraswamy, the judge
granted him and his wife exemption from personal appearance
till September 5 on health grounds.
The case relates to alleged irregularities in renewal of
mining licence to a firm and allotment of land to a private
housing cooperative society, which allotted a site to
Vindo Geol, Managing Director of Jenthakal Mining Company
was also exempted from personal appearance on health grounds.
The judge directed all three to appear in court on Sept 5.
Advocate Vinod Kumar in his complaint had alleged that
Kumaraswamy favoured the firm by ordering renewal of its
licence flouting rules and made bulk land allotment to the
society and it allotted a residential site to his wife as a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day