HC refuses stay in proceedings against Kumaraswamy
Bangalore: In a legal setback to former Chief
Minister HD Kumaraswamy, Karnataka High Court on Tuesday refused
to stay proceedings initiated against him and his wife in a
lower court on a private complaint, alleging corrupt practices.
Admitting a petition by Kumaraswamy, Justice KN
Keshavanarayan declined to grant stay, observing a prima facie
case has been made out and there is a statutory bar for grant
of stay on proceedings of a case filed under Section 19(3)C of
the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Kumaraswamy had challenged the proceedings initiated by the
Lokayukta court and the Aug 8 summons issued by it directing
him to appear before the court today.
In another setback, the Lokayukta court today rejected the
anticipatory bail applications of Kumaraswamy and his wife
apprehending arrest in the case.
Judge Sudhindra Rao rejected their applications on the
grounds they may tamper with evidence if granted bail.
However, in a temporary reprieve for Kumaraswamy, the judge
granted him and his wife exemption from personal appearance
till September 5 on health grounds.
The case relates to alleged irregularities in renewal of
mining licence to a firm and allotment of land to a private
housing cooperative society, which allotted a site to
Vindo Geol, Managing Director of Jenthakal Mining Company
was also exempted from personal appearance on health grounds.
The judge directed all three to appear in court on Sept 5.
Advocate Vinod Kumar in his complaint had alleged that
Kumaraswamy favoured the firm by ordering renewal of its
licence flouting rules and made bulk land allotment to the
society and it allotted a residential site to his wife as a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley