HC refuses stay in proceedings against Kumaraswamy
Bangalore: In a legal setback to former Chief
Minister HD Kumaraswamy, Karnataka High Court on Tuesday refused
to stay proceedings initiated against him and his wife in a
lower court on a private complaint, alleging corrupt practices.
Admitting a petition by Kumaraswamy, Justice KN
Keshavanarayan declined to grant stay, observing a prima facie
case has been made out and there is a statutory bar for grant
of stay on proceedings of a case filed under Section 19(3)C of
the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Kumaraswamy had challenged the proceedings initiated by the
Lokayukta court and the Aug 8 summons issued by it directing
him to appear before the court today.
In another setback, the Lokayukta court today rejected the
anticipatory bail applications of Kumaraswamy and his wife
apprehending arrest in the case.
Judge Sudhindra Rao rejected their applications on the
grounds they may tamper with evidence if granted bail.
However, in a temporary reprieve for Kumaraswamy, the judge
granted him and his wife exemption from personal appearance
till September 5 on health grounds.
The case relates to alleged irregularities in renewal of
mining licence to a firm and allotment of land to a private
housing cooperative society, which allotted a site to
Vindo Geol, Managing Director of Jenthakal Mining Company
was also exempted from personal appearance on health grounds.
The judge directed all three to appear in court on Sept 5.
Advocate Vinod Kumar in his complaint had alleged that
Kumaraswamy favoured the firm by ordering renewal of its
licence flouting rules and made bulk land allotment to the
society and it allotted a residential site to his wife as a
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know