Heavy polling in bypolls to 2 TN assembly segments
Chennai: Polling for bye-elections to two
Tamil Nadu assembly constituencies was on Saturday by and large
peaceful with heavy voting reported in both the segments.
About 82 percent polling was reported in the Vandavasi
(SC) constituency and 78 per cent in Tiruchendur, Chief
Electoral Officer Naresh Gupta told reporters here.
Polling was by and large peaceful with people turning up
in large numbers to exercise their franchise. Besides state
police, paramilitary forces had also been deployed, especially
in sensitive booths, to ensure peaceful election, Police said.
"No untoward incident was reported," they said.
The by-polls were necessitated due the death of DMK MLA S
C Jayaraman at Vandavasi and resignation of former AIADMK MLA
Anitha R Radhakrishnan at Tiruchendur.
The counting will be held on December 23.
After the Lok Sabha polls, this is the first time arch
rivals DMK and AIADMK are on the electoral battle turf as
the latter had boycotted bypolls to five assembly seats in
August. Actor-politician Vijayakant`s DMDK is also in the
The Election Commission, for the first time in the state,
has taken measures to capture on web cameras, images of all
voters at the time of polling which will be compared with
their images available in the central server’s database of
electoral photo rolls to quickly act on any possible
discrepancy. The comparison will be done at a control room at
the office of CEO.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'