Heavy rains flood lower areas around Rameswaram
Rameswaram: Heavy rains have been lashing this coastal town since Monday afternoon, flooding low lying areas around the temple and damaging a large quantity of dry fish.
Officials said Mandapam received 43 mm rains,while Pamban received 36.6mm. Thangachimadam and Rameswaram received 33 and 20mm.
They said harvest operations in Tiruvarur district were paralysed as heavy rains lashed the district since early this morning.
Official said farmers who had problem during cultivation when there was not enough rain are worried that this spell is destroying existing yield also.
Thanjavur, Tiruchirapalli, Pudukottai and Karaikal also received heavy rains on Tuesday, they said.
Meanwhile two persons died of viral fever after suffering high temperature for the past four days. Officials suspect the viral fever could have been caused due unhygienic situation prevailing in the island where mosquito menace is widespread.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray