Heavy rains flood lower areas around Rameswaram
Rameswaram: Heavy rains have been lashing this coastal town since Monday afternoon, flooding low lying areas around the temple and damaging a large quantity of dry fish.
Officials said Mandapam received 43 mm rains,while Pamban received 36.6mm. Thangachimadam and Rameswaram received 33 and 20mm.
They said harvest operations in Tiruvarur district were paralysed as heavy rains lashed the district since early this morning.
Official said farmers who had problem during cultivation when there was not enough rain are worried that this spell is destroying existing yield also.
Thanjavur, Tiruchirapalli, Pudukottai and Karaikal also received heavy rains on Tuesday, they said.
Meanwhile two persons died of viral fever after suffering high temperature for the past four days. Officials suspect the viral fever could have been caused due unhygienic situation prevailing in the island where mosquito menace is widespread.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'