Heavy rains flood lower areas around Rameswaram
Rameswaram: Heavy rains have been lashing this coastal town since Monday afternoon, flooding low lying areas around the temple and damaging a large quantity of dry fish.
Officials said Mandapam received 43 mm rains,while Pamban received 36.6mm. Thangachimadam and Rameswaram received 33 and 20mm.
They said harvest operations in Tiruvarur district were paralysed as heavy rains lashed the district since early this morning.
Official said farmers who had problem during cultivation when there was not enough rain are worried that this spell is destroying existing yield also.
Thanjavur, Tiruchirapalli, Pudukottai and Karaikal also received heavy rains on Tuesday, they said.
Meanwhile two persons died of viral fever after suffering high temperature for the past four days. Officials suspect the viral fever could have been caused due unhygienic situation prevailing in the island where mosquito menace is widespread.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- Newborn with Zika virus found infected 2 months after birth
- Govinda ala re! Bollywood wishes Happy Janmashtami to all—See inside
- This is how CPI-M countered BJP’s Janmashtami procession in Kerala
- Six killed, 25 injured in bus-truck collusion in China
- Rajnath Singh assures alternative to pellet guns in Kashmir; Mufti says stone-pelting, attacking security camps won't bring peace