Heavy rains flood lower areas around Rameswaram
Rameswaram: Heavy rains have been lashing this coastal town since Monday afternoon, flooding low lying areas around the temple and damaging a large quantity of dry fish.
Officials said Mandapam received 43 mm rains,while Pamban received 36.6mm. Thangachimadam and Rameswaram received 33 and 20mm.
They said harvest operations in Tiruvarur district were paralysed as heavy rains lashed the district since early this morning.
Official said farmers who had problem during cultivation when there was not enough rain are worried that this spell is destroying existing yield also.
Thanjavur, Tiruchirapalli, Pudukottai and Karaikal also received heavy rains on Tuesday, they said.
Meanwhile two persons died of viral fever after suffering high temperature for the past four days. Officials suspect the viral fever could have been caused due unhygienic situation prevailing in the island where mosquito menace is widespread.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- Preity Zinta to tie the knot this Valentine?
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- WATCH: 'Sting videos of Kejriwal govt's minister Imran Hussain's staffer demanding bribe of Rs 25 lakh for his boss'