Huts of 285 Dalits set on fire by mob
Dharmapuri (TN): Angered by a man committing suicide over his daughter marrying a Dalit boy, a mob torched 285 huts in three Dalit colonies in the district, but there were no casualties as all the people had fled to neighbouring areas, police said.
They said the crowd first targeted Natham, the boy`s village and two other Dalit colonies Kondampatty and Anna Nagar on November 7 night, using petrol bombs to set ablaze the huts. The villagers had got wind of the impending attack beforehand and fled, they said.
The couple had got married on October 14.
Sanjay Kumar, DIG (Salem), said 90 persons have so far been arrested in connection with the violence and that armed police personnel had been posted in the villages.
He said the couple are now in a safe area under police protection.
Collector Lily said the situation was now under control and that the administration had made all arrangements to provide those affected with food and water. The villagers would also be provided ration cards, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video