Huts of 285 Dalits set on fire by mob
Dharmapuri (TN): Angered by a man committing suicide over his daughter marrying a Dalit boy, a mob torched 285 huts in three Dalit colonies in the district, but there were no casualties as all the people had fled to neighbouring areas, police said.
They said the crowd first targeted Natham, the boy`s village and two other Dalit colonies Kondampatty and Anna Nagar on November 7 night, using petrol bombs to set ablaze the huts. The villagers had got wind of the impending attack beforehand and fled, they said.
The couple had got married on October 14.
Sanjay Kumar, DIG (Salem), said 90 persons have so far been arrested in connection with the violence and that armed police personnel had been posted in the villages.
He said the couple are now in a safe area under police protection.
Collector Lily said the situation was now under control and that the administration had made all arrangements to provide those affected with food and water. The villagers would also be provided ration cards, she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Cricket series can't happen along with terror attacks: Anurag Thakur warns PCB