Jaya steps up pressure on Centre on Cauvery issue
Chennai: Mounting pressure on Congress-led UPA government at the Centre, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Saturday insisted that the final order of the Cauvery Tribunal be notified considering the withering crops in the state even as she expressed doubts over arch rival DMK`s intentions on the issue.
Recalling the recent meeting of DMK MPs with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at the behest of party chief M Karunanidhi, she expressed doubts if they really took up with him the issue of gazette notification of the final award of the Cauvery tribunal as mentioned by the DMK patriarch.
In a statement here, she indicated that the DMK government in 2007 did not adopt proper steps to get the final order notified even as her party had made a strong pitch for it besides moving the Supreme Court against some provisions, though the Karunanidhi government approached the Tribunal once again, but unsuccessfully.
However, she had not only written to Singh after coming to power last year urging that the order be notified, but had also taken up with him the matter in person.
She recalled her government had moved the court early this year and following this Centre gave an undertaking that the award will be notified by December end.
Following a delay, she had twice written to the Prime Minister, she said, adding, in the meantime Karunanidhi had asked his partymen to make a representation with Singh.
"If the DMK MPs had indeed sought notifying the order, it must have been given in writing and Karunanidhi should have released that to the media. But (he) has not released it so far. This makes it clear there was no written representation," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday