Jaya steps up pressure on Centre on Cauvery issue
Chennai: Mounting pressure on Congress-led UPA government at the Centre, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Saturday insisted that the final order of the Cauvery Tribunal be notified considering the withering crops in the state even as she expressed doubts over arch rival DMK`s intentions on the issue.
Recalling the recent meeting of DMK MPs with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at the behest of party chief M Karunanidhi, she expressed doubts if they really took up with him the issue of gazette notification of the final award of the Cauvery tribunal as mentioned by the DMK patriarch.
In a statement here, she indicated that the DMK government in 2007 did not adopt proper steps to get the final order notified even as her party had made a strong pitch for it besides moving the Supreme Court against some provisions, though the Karunanidhi government approached the Tribunal once again, but unsuccessfully.
However, she had not only written to Singh after coming to power last year urging that the order be notified, but had also taken up with him the matter in person.
She recalled her government had moved the court early this year and following this Centre gave an undertaking that the award will be notified by December end.
Following a delay, she had twice written to the Prime Minister, she said, adding, in the meantime Karunanidhi had asked his partymen to make a representation with Singh.
"If the DMK MPs had indeed sought notifying the order, it must have been given in writing and Karunanidhi should have released that to the media. But (he) has not released it so far. This makes it clear there was no written representation," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!