Karuna to launch state-wide stir against SSCP
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi will launch the first of a series of state-wide protests demanding implementation of the multi-million rupee Sethusamudram Shipping Canal project, leading an agitation at Nagapattinam on July 8.
This was in line with a resolution adopted in the June 17 meeting of the party`s Administrative Council here, a party statement said.
His son and DMK Treasurer M K Stalin will lead the protests at Tuticorin while MPs Kanimozhi, T R Baalu and A Raja will lead at Cuddalore, Kanyakumari and Puthukottai respectively.
The party had resolved to hold a series of protests against ruling AIADMK`s demand to declare Ramasethu, which involves dredging as part of the project, as a national heritage, besides pressing for its immediate implementation.
Sethusamudram project is aimed at constructing a shorter navigational route around India`s southern tip by breaching the mythological Ram Sethu, built by Lord Rama`s army of monkeys and bears to demon king Ravana`s kingdom Lanka.
The project has been put on hold after petitions were filed in the Supreme Court opposing demolition of Ram Sethu.
Tamil Nadu Government has pleaded with the Supreme Court that the project be scrapped as it would adversely affect marine biodiversity and the Centre be directed to declare Ram Sethu as a national monument.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price