Karuna welcomes SC verdict on differently-abled reservation
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Thursday welcomed the Supreme Court`s direction to the Centre and state governments to provide three per cent job reservation to differently-abled persons in all their departments, companies and institutions.
"I welcome this judgement. It is the responsibility of the Centre and state governments to implement the judgement immediately," the former Tamil Nadu chief minister said.
Observing that the differently-abled were facing trouble without employment due to many social factors, the 90-year old DMK patriarch said that everyone should unanimously welcome the verdict.
The Supreme Court had on Tuesday directed the Centre and all state governments to provide 3 per cent job reservation to disabled persons in all their departments, companies and institutions.
A bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam also clarified that the principle of not exceeding more than 50 per cent reservation would not be applicable while granting quota for the differently-abled.
To another query, Karunanidhi cited media reports, which said that Periamet inspector Veerakumar, who caught `Police` Fakruddin in Chennai on October 4 was left out in the list of police personnel, who were selected for the cash award of Rs five lakh each for nabbing terror suspects.
"When the government is giving away prizes like this, those not involved in the operation should not be included in the selected list as well as those involved in the operation should not be left out," Karunanidhi said.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had announced the cash rewards to all the personnel SID who were involved in the operation to arrest the three suspects in the 2011 Advani bomb and other important cases and named them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared