Karuna welcomes SC verdict on differently-abled reservation
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Thursday welcomed the Supreme Court`s direction to the Centre and state governments to provide three per cent job reservation to differently-abled persons in all their departments, companies and institutions.
"I welcome this judgement. It is the responsibility of the Centre and state governments to implement the judgement immediately," the former Tamil Nadu chief minister said.
Observing that the differently-abled were facing trouble without employment due to many social factors, the 90-year old DMK patriarch said that everyone should unanimously welcome the verdict.
The Supreme Court had on Tuesday directed the Centre and all state governments to provide 3 per cent job reservation to disabled persons in all their departments, companies and institutions.
A bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam also clarified that the principle of not exceeding more than 50 per cent reservation would not be applicable while granting quota for the differently-abled.
To another query, Karunanidhi cited media reports, which said that Periamet inspector Veerakumar, who caught `Police` Fakruddin in Chennai on October 4 was left out in the list of police personnel, who were selected for the cash award of Rs five lakh each for nabbing terror suspects.
"When the government is giving away prizes like this, those not involved in the operation should not be included in the selected list as well as those involved in the operation should not be left out," Karunanidhi said.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had announced the cash rewards to all the personnel SID who were involved in the operation to arrest the three suspects in the 2011 Advani bomb and other important cases and named them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves