Karuna welcomes SC verdict on differently-abled reservation
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Thursday welcomed the Supreme Court`s direction to the Centre and state governments to provide three per cent job reservation to differently-abled persons in all their departments, companies and institutions.
"I welcome this judgement. It is the responsibility of the Centre and state governments to implement the judgement immediately," the former Tamil Nadu chief minister said.
Observing that the differently-abled were facing trouble without employment due to many social factors, the 90-year old DMK patriarch said that everyone should unanimously welcome the verdict.
The Supreme Court had on Tuesday directed the Centre and all state governments to provide 3 per cent job reservation to disabled persons in all their departments, companies and institutions.
A bench headed by Chief Justice P Sathasivam also clarified that the principle of not exceeding more than 50 per cent reservation would not be applicable while granting quota for the differently-abled.
To another query, Karunanidhi cited media reports, which said that Periamet inspector Veerakumar, who caught `Police` Fakruddin in Chennai on October 4 was left out in the list of police personnel, who were selected for the cash award of Rs five lakh each for nabbing terror suspects.
"When the government is giving away prizes like this, those not involved in the operation should not be included in the selected list as well as those involved in the operation should not be left out," Karunanidhi said.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had announced the cash rewards to all the personnel SID who were involved in the operation to arrest the three suspects in the 2011 Advani bomb and other important cases and named them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India