Karunanidhi criticises Vijaykanth`s suspension
Chennai: Slamming the suspension of Leader of
the Opposition Vijaykanth from the Assembly, DMK President M
Karunanidhi on Sunday said the action was an example of the
AIADMK`s "anti-democratic" rule.
"Things which are anti-democratic and tend to demolish
democracy are happening in the AIADMK rule. The repressive
action and atrocities (unleashed) against Vijaykanth are an
example to it," he told reporters here.
Vijaykanth, whose party DMDK fought the Assembly polls last
year in alliance with AIADMK, was suspended last week for 10
days from the Assembly for breach of privilege during a heated
exchange with Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa.
Protesting the suspension announced on February 2 by
Speaker D Jayakimar, DMK and Left parties had walked out of
the Assembly charging the Jayalalithaa government with being
Asked about the DMK`s campaign strategy for the upcoming
Sankarankovil Assembly by-election, Karunanidhi sarcastically
said he would praise the rise in bus fares and shifting of the
Secretariat and Anna Centenary Library by AIADMK government.
He hastened to add that his party would campaign with a
strategy of making its candidate win the bypoll.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert