Karunanidhi welcomes Centre`s affidavit on Sethu project in SC
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Monday welcomed the Centre`s affidavit in the Supreme Court that it would go ahead with the Sethusamudram Shipping Channel project and hoped for a good verdict.
"It is welcome-able and I am happy. I hope that a good verdict would come from the Supreme Court," Karunanidhi told reporters here, responding to a query.
The Centre has brushed aside the objections raised by the Tamil Nadu government against the Rs 25,000 crore project by telling the Supreme Court that it intends to go ahead with the venture as the expert panel headed by RK Pachauri has not come out with tenable and scientific data.
Asked about his party` strategy for the coming Lok Sabha polls, the DMK chief said his party would announce it soon.
On Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi being announced as BJP`s Prime Ministerial candidate, he said, "I don`t want to comment on another party`s internal matter."
To a query on why he has not been extended an invitation to a state government function to celebrate 100 years of Indian Cinema, scheduled to be held here next week, he retorted, "Who am I for them to give me an invitation?"
He declined to comment on the state government`s new scheme of providing one litre of bottled drinking water at Rs 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt