Katchatheevu issue: Karuna objects to Centre`s submission in HC
Chennai: Taking objection to Centre`s submission that Indian fishermen have no right to fish around Katchatheevu, DMK president M Karunanidhi on Monday said such a counter was made by Centre with the intention of "hurting" Tamils.
Centre had recently informed the Madras High Court that the sovereignty of Sri Lanka over the islet of Katchatheevu in the Palk Straits, ceded to it by India in 1974, is a settled matter and Indian fishermen do not enjoy any right to fish in the region.
Karunanidhi said even Congress leader and Union Shipping Minister G K Vasan had said he will urge the Centre to review the Katchatheevu pact.
Responding to a set of questions in party mouthpiece `Murasoli,` he recalled DMK had filed a petition in the Supreme Court seeking retrieval of the islet.
With that case already pending in the apex court, another one being filed here and Centre responding to that was "unacceptable," he said.
"Centre could have informed the High Court of that case. Instead, just to hurt the Tamils, Centre has filed (such a counter) and it should be condemned by all Tamils," he said.
Citing reports that US, UK, Germany and France intended to bring resolutions against Sri Lanka seeking probe on war crimes, he said India should also join them.
In fact, India should propose a separate resolution, seeking credible probe against Colombo and referendum under the aegis of UN for a permanent political solution on the Sri Lankan Tamils issue, he said.
Condoling the death of the victims of the yesterday`s boat tragedy in Andaman, he demanded that the ex-gratia of Rs one lakh announced by the Tamil Nadu government be increased to Rs five lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets