KNPP: Condition of fasting protesters worsens
Tirunelveli: The condition of five persons including S P Udhayakumar, who are fasting for the last eight days as part the Kudankulam agitation, worsened
on Tuesday with doctors advising shifting them to a hospital, officials said on Tuesday.
The anti-nuclear power plant activists led by People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMNE) are on an indefinite fast after the Tamil Nadu government gave its go-ahead to the Indo-Russian project on March 19, clearing decks for resuming
the works, now in full swing.
Dr R C Ramalingam of the Tisayanvalai Primary Health Centre, who headed the team of doctors that examined the five Udayakumar, Ponni Isakki, Prema, Anjana Jayaraj and Nehru said he had advised officials that they needed immediate hospitalisation but the agitators were not cooperating.
The medical team had submitted its report to the district
collector and it was for the officials to take a decision,
Udhayakumar had yesterday said he was ready for talks
with the government provided cases against PMNE members were
The government had filed cases against 163 persons under
various sections which are pending in local courts. A case
regarding freezing of bank accounts of some NGOs, which were
allegedly aiding the stir, is also pending before a court.
Udhayakumar regretted that people who had been agitating
against the KNPP were now neglected and let down by the Tamil
Nadu government and the Centre.
Those on fast last evening refused even medical
examination and demanded that cases be dropped as a pre-
condition. Some of the key organisers of the agitation are
also behind bars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead