Life convicts release: TN Govt told to file counter in 2 weeks
Chennai: The Madras High Court on Monday directed
the Tamil Nadu government to file a counter affidavit in two
weeks on a petition by Janata Party President Dr Subramanian
Swamy seeking to quash a September 11, 2008 Government Order
releasing 1405 life convicts on Sept 15, 2008 on the occasion
of DMK party founder late C N Annadurai`s birth anniversary.
Earlier, Swamy appeared in person and sought early hearing
of his petition filed about 18 months ago. He pointed out that
while the petition had been admitted by the High Court, the
state government was yet to file its counter affidavit.
In its order, a Division Bench comprising Chief Justice H L
Gokhale and Justice V Dhanapalan also directed Swamy to file a
rejoinder to the government affidavit two weeks after the
government filed its counter and posted the petition for
hearing on June 14.
Claiming that convicts` release contravened provisions of
Sec 433 and 433A of CrPC, Swamy charged the state government
with not taking necessary steps to obtain reports from the
authorities concerned on each of the convicts to be released.
The government had `indiscriminately and arbitrarily`
applied a seven-year minimum period of imprisonment as a
criteria for release of the convicts without reference to any
legal provisions, Swamy contended and added the decision was
`illegal unreasonable and ultra vires of Article 14 of the
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed