Madras HC dismisses bail application of hit and run accused
Chennai: Madras High Court on Monday dismissed the bail application of Shaji Purushothaman, son of a businessman, the prime accused in the case relating to the May 23 Mercedes hit-and-run incident in which a boy was killed.
When the application came up for hearing, Justice B Rajendran said investigation had not yet been completed and was at a crucial stage.
The Judge also observed that Shaji had left the country soon after hearing about the boy`s death and thereby managed to escape from the clutches of law and attempted to subvert the criminal process for one month till he was arrested on June 13, 2013.
The Judge accepted the version of the prosecution that there was every possibility of Shaji leaving the country if he was let off on bail.
On May 23, Shaji allegedly drove a car in a rash and negligent manner under influence of liquor and ran over three children sleeping on the pavement.
A 13-year old boy was killed and another critically injured in the incident.
Shaji, declared a proclaimed offender by a court here after he went absconding, was arrested by Tamil Nadu police in Kochi on June 13 when he arrived from Colombo.
The Madras High Court and Kerala High Court had earlier rejected Shaji`s anticipatory bail applications.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahi Imam meets PM Modi, demands innocent Muslims must not be harassed in name of fighting ISIS
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni: I allow bowlers to set the field in T20 cricket
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital