Madras HC dismisses bail application of hit and run accused
Chennai: Madras High Court on Monday dismissed the bail application of Shaji Purushothaman, son of a businessman, the prime accused in the case relating to the May 23 Mercedes hit-and-run incident in which a boy was killed.
When the application came up for hearing, Justice B Rajendran said investigation had not yet been completed and was at a crucial stage.
The Judge also observed that Shaji had left the country soon after hearing about the boy`s death and thereby managed to escape from the clutches of law and attempted to subvert the criminal process for one month till he was arrested on June 13, 2013.
The Judge accepted the version of the prosecution that there was every possibility of Shaji leaving the country if he was let off on bail.
On May 23, Shaji allegedly drove a car in a rash and negligent manner under influence of liquor and ran over three children sleeping on the pavement.
A 13-year old boy was killed and another critically injured in the incident.
Shaji, declared a proclaimed offender by a court here after he went absconding, was arrested by Tamil Nadu police in Kochi on June 13 when he arrived from Colombo.
The Madras High Court and Kerala High Court had earlier rejected Shaji`s anticipatory bail applications.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’