Madras HC dismisses bail application of hit and run accused
Chennai: Madras High Court on Monday dismissed the bail application of Shaji Purushothaman, son of a businessman, the prime accused in the case relating to the May 23 Mercedes hit-and-run incident in which a boy was killed.
When the application came up for hearing, Justice B Rajendran said investigation had not yet been completed and was at a crucial stage.
The Judge also observed that Shaji had left the country soon after hearing about the boy`s death and thereby managed to escape from the clutches of law and attempted to subvert the criminal process for one month till he was arrested on June 13, 2013.
The Judge accepted the version of the prosecution that there was every possibility of Shaji leaving the country if he was let off on bail.
On May 23, Shaji allegedly drove a car in a rash and negligent manner under influence of liquor and ran over three children sleeping on the pavement.
A 13-year old boy was killed and another critically injured in the incident.
Shaji, declared a proclaimed offender by a court here after he went absconding, was arrested by Tamil Nadu police in Kochi on June 13 when he arrived from Colombo.
The Madras High Court and Kerala High Court had earlier rejected Shaji`s anticipatory bail applications.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list