Madras HC dismisses plea for reservation in coop polls
Chennai: Madras High Court on Wednesday dismissed a petition seeking its direction to authorities to implement reservation for SC/ST candidates in the posts of cooperative society presidents for the coming elecctions to the societies in Tamil Nadu.
A bench comprising acting Chief Justice Rajesh Kumar Agrawal and Justice N Paul Vasanthakumar said the plea cannot be considered by Election Commissioner of Tamil Nadu Cooperative Election Commission, as he is not the competent authority to reserve posts of President for SC/ST candidates.
".. Even otherwise, the election process has already started and notification was issued on March 4, whereas the writ petition was filed only on March 12. After the commencement of the election process, this court cannot interfere with the same," they said.
Petitioner A P Gowdhamasidharthan of the city had sought a direction to reserve 18 per cent of the posts for SC and one per cent for ST candidates.
Pointing out that there was no reservation for them in the posts of President of these societies, he said Article 335 of the Constitution must be considered for reservation for them in the said posts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Asafa Powell fills Usain Bolt`s shoes and targets personal best