Mystery shrouds death of Dalit boy who married Vanniyar girl
Salem: Mystery shrouds the death of a 19-year-old Dalit boy, who was living with his in-laws after his family opposed his marriage with a caste Hindu girl.
Vivek Kumar, a flower vendor at the bus stand here, died last night at a private hospital in nearby Vazhapadi where he was rushed yesterday after he was found unconscious at his father-in-laws` house, police said on Saturday.
The deceased and 20-year-old Sasikala, both residents of Vellalagundam village near here, got married four months back.
Since Kumar`s parents opposed their marriage, the couple were staying with the girl`s family, who belonged to Vanniyar community.
Police said a case under CrPC section 174 (unnatural death) had been registered and investigations were on.
Since the death occurred within four months of the marriage, an inquiry by the Revenue Divisional Officer would be held, they said.
Kumar`s death comes close on the heels of the death of Dalit youth, Illavarasan, in neighbouring Dharmapuri district in a tragic end to an inter-caste marriage that triggered anti-Dalit violence last year.
Illavarasan was found dead on July 4 along a railway track a day after his wife, a Vanniyar girl, said she would live with her mother.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed