`No preventive arrests should be made in line with HC ruling`
Chennai: Ahead of its July 4 `fill the jails` protest against the ruling AIADMK over alleged foisting of cases against its leaders, opposition DMK on Wednesday petitioned the state police, demanding that no preventive arrests be made in line with a court judgement.
DMK Legal Wing Secretary R S Bharathi submitted a memorandum to DGP K Ramanujam, detailing a 2003 Madras High Court verdict obtained by the party to stage a protest against the then AIADMK government.
Referring to the court judgement, issued by the first bench, he said it had directed the police against making any preventive arrests, besides laying down guidelines within the Criminal Procedure Code (Cr.PC) for possible arrests.
Besides, the judgement had also said that adequate protection should be given during the protests, he said.
"Keeping in lines with the High Court judgement, I request you to give directions to the police force accordingly," Bharathi said in the memorandum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand