`No preventive arrests should be made in line with HC ruling`
Chennai: Ahead of its July 4 `fill the jails` protest against the ruling AIADMK over alleged foisting of cases against its leaders, opposition DMK on Wednesday petitioned the state police, demanding that no preventive arrests be made in line with a court judgement.
DMK Legal Wing Secretary R S Bharathi submitted a memorandum to DGP K Ramanujam, detailing a 2003 Madras High Court verdict obtained by the party to stage a protest against the then AIADMK government.
Referring to the court judgement, issued by the first bench, he said it had directed the police against making any preventive arrests, besides laying down guidelines within the Criminal Procedure Code (Cr.PC) for possible arrests.
Besides, the judgement had also said that adequate protection should be given during the protests, he said.
"Keeping in lines with the High Court judgement, I request you to give directions to the police force accordingly," Bharathi said in the memorandum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says