Phone facility extended to Vellore jail inmates
Chennai: Inmates of Tamil Nadu`s Vellore jail, where Rajiv Gandhi assassin Nalini is housed, will soon be able to make phone calls to their relatives with the prison authority all set to introduce the facility as part of its reformation programme.
The Tamilnadu government has sanctioned Rs 1.58 crore for installation of 54 telephone booths in nine central cells and three special cells for women in the prison complex, Additional DGP (Prisons) S K Dogra said.
Regarding extending the facility to Nalini, he said, "There is no such instruction not to allow her. She too is likely to get the facility. All conversations will be recorded so there is no fear that this facility will be misused."
Dogra said the phone facility is being introduced to fulfill the longstanding demand of prisoners to allow them to make phone calls to their relatives and friends to discuss with their lawyer about their cases and also to prevent clandestine use of mobile phones inside prison.
Phone facility for prisoners was first introduced last year in Tihar jail, where a total of 20 telephone booths were introduced in all the nine jails in the prison complex.
However, the facility does not come free of cost. An inmate interested to avail the facility will have to pay for the calls made by them.
The inmates can only make calls to listed numbers approved by the jail authorities, Dogra said.
"The work of installation has been entrusted to ELCOT Chennai. All telephonic conversations will be recorded as a security precaution," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know