PMK seeks CBI, judicial probe into Marakkanam violence
Chennai: Former union minister and PMK leader Anbumani Ramadoss on Friday submitted a memorandum to Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah, seeking a CBI and judicial probe into the violence at Marakkanam in Villupuram district on April 25.
A day after he was released on conditional bail, Anbumani requested the Governor to "stop" detention of PMK cadres under the Goondas and National Security Acts.
"We request you to stop this unmindful arrests happening in our state and direct the Chief Secretary, Home Secretary and DGP to immediately stop the false arrests," the memorandum said.
Anbumani was arrested on May 3 and lodged in Puzhal prison near here for offences, including unlawful assembly and rioting at a PMK function at Mamallapuram last year. Other cases were also pending against him but he secured conditional bail.
While Anbumani`s father, PMK founder S Ramadoss, who was arrested on April 30 at Villupuram for violating prohibitory orders, is in a Tiruchirapalli prison. Many PMK cadres have been detained under the Goondas Act and National Security Act.
The memorandum also sought a CBI and judicial enquiry into attacks on public property in parts of the state.
Violent incidents, including torching and stoning of government buses were reported from parts of the state last week following the arrest of Ramadoss and Anbumani in the wake of violence at Marakkanam in Villupuram district, allegedly targeting Dalits.
While PMK alleged that Dalit outfit Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi was the reason behind the violence, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa virtually blamed PMK for it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’