Portion of Mullivaaikal Memorial compound demolished; triggers protest
Thanjavur: Days after its inauguration, officials on Wednesday demolished the compound wall and removed a park at the Mullivaikal Memorial, built in honour of Tamil martyrs in the war in Sri Lanka, alleging that these were constructed on encroached highway land, triggering instant protests by pro-Eelam activists.
Police said Ulaga Tamizhar Peramaippu (World Tamils` Federation) president P Nedumaran, who played a key role in setting up the memorial at Vilar village, and several others were arrested when they staged a protest without proper permission.
Officials said a notice board was put up at the site that the area was part of the highway and should not be encroached. However, later some miscreants removed the board, leading to tension.
Fifty persons were arrested for allegedly removing the board.
The memorial, put up by a trust, was declared open on November 6 after the Madras High Court directed police to grant permission for the three-day inaugural function.
Officials said the members of the trust after giving assurance to the high court and the government that they would not encroach the government and not cause any hindrance to the Public had violated their assurance.
They had also misinformed the court that the entire complex was in private land, the officials said adding encroaching government land could not be tolerated.
Besides Nedumaran, M Natarajan, husband of Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa`s close aide Sasikala, was among those involved in setting up the memorial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre