Public servant facing criminal case cannot be reinstated: HC
Chennai: The Madras High Court has ruled that a public servant facing criminal case and suspended for corruption charges cannot claim reinstatement in service during the pendency of the case.
Justice D Hariparanthaman made the observation while dismissing a plea of a government doctor, suspended for allegedly taking a bribe of Rs 1,200.
Dr SR Mohanraj, Assistant Professor of Surgery attached to the Government Medical College and Hospital, Vellore, was suspended on March 8, 2011 for allegedly receiving the bribe.
His request to the government to revoke the suspension was rejected, on ground that clearance was yet to be received from the Directorate of Vigilance and Anti-Corruption Department.
The Judge, however, said the Director of Medical Education was not correct in abdicating his power by saying that the clearance was yet to be received from DVAC.
Citing the letter with a request to revoke his suspension was written by Mohanraj on April 7, 2011 within a period of one month from his suspension, the Judge said, "I am unable to understand as to how the petitioner can seek the revocation within this short period, that too when he is facing grave charges of corruption."
Normally an employee facing criminal charges that too under Prevention of Corruption Act cannot seek revocation of suspension during the pendency of criminal case, he noted.
However, he said the subsistence allowance which was not paid to the doctor can be paid from the date of his suspension.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla