Rahul`s stand reflects opinion of Cong and the people: Vasan
Chennai: Joining the chorus of support in the government for Rahul Gandhi`s stand against the ordinance on convicted lawmakers, Union Shipping Minister GK Vasan on Saturday said the Congress Vice President has reflected the opinion of the party as well as the people of the country.
"Rahul Gandhi has expressed his opinion very clearly. It is not only his opinion. I think he has echoed the voice of the Congress party from Kashmir to Kanyakumari and also the people of the country," Vasan told reporters here.
"I`m sure that the importance of the subject will be taken by the Prime Minister Manmohan Singh after he comes from his foreign visit and accordingly an appropriate decision will be taken," he said.
"Taking the popular sentiment of the country, there should be no difference within the Congress."
Rahul Gandhi had yesterday denounced the controversial ordinance to negate the Supreme Court verdict on convicted lawmakers as "complete nonsense" and which "should be torn up and thrown away".
Gandhi, whose remarks causing tremors in the government, had said he realised that what he felt about the ordinance was not in harmony with the Cabinet`s decision and the Core Group`s view.
After Rahul denounced the ordinance, Union ministers Milind Deora and Shashi Tharoor too opposed the measure.
External Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid had said "if the party leadership feels that there is a need for a second look...The party will tell the government to do that."
The controversial ordinance seeks to prevent immediate disqualification of convicted MPs and MLAs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video