Rally against govt employee`s `conversion bid`
Udhagamandalam (TN): About 2,000 people on Saturday
took out a procession here demanding action against a
government polytechnic lecturer accusing him of attempting to
convert the locals to Christianity.
The people of B Manihatty village and surrouding localities
dominated by Badaga community, a tribal community of the
Nilgiris District, submitted a memorandum to the District
Collector demanding action against lecturer Moorthy, who had
recently converted to Christianity, police said.
The villagers had yesterday ransacked the house and burnt
the belongings of Moorthy protesting against his plans to
build a prayer hall after obtaining permission for
constructing a residential premises. More than 100 villagers
were arrested in connection with the violence.
The memorandum also demanded a departmental inquiry and
transfer of the district Superintendent of Police, accusing
him of `functioning` against the villagers.
More than 500 police personnel have been deployed in the
town as a precautionary measure in view of the rally taken out
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics