Rally against govt employee`s `conversion bid`
Udhagamandalam (TN): About 2,000 people on Saturday
took out a procession here demanding action against a
government polytechnic lecturer accusing him of attempting to
convert the locals to Christianity.
The people of B Manihatty village and surrouding localities
dominated by Badaga community, a tribal community of the
Nilgiris District, submitted a memorandum to the District
Collector demanding action against lecturer Moorthy, who had
recently converted to Christianity, police said.
The villagers had yesterday ransacked the house and burnt
the belongings of Moorthy protesting against his plans to
build a prayer hall after obtaining permission for
constructing a residential premises. More than 100 villagers
were arrested in connection with the violence.
The memorandum also demanded a departmental inquiry and
transfer of the district Superintendent of Police, accusing
him of `functioning` against the villagers.
More than 500 police personnel have been deployed in the
town as a precautionary measure in view of the rally taken out
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez