Rally against govt employee`s `conversion bid`
Udhagamandalam (TN): About 2,000 people on Saturday
took out a procession here demanding action against a
government polytechnic lecturer accusing him of attempting to
convert the locals to Christianity.
The people of B Manihatty village and surrouding localities
dominated by Badaga community, a tribal community of the
Nilgiris District, submitted a memorandum to the District
Collector demanding action against lecturer Moorthy, who had
recently converted to Christianity, police said.
The villagers had yesterday ransacked the house and burnt
the belongings of Moorthy protesting against his plans to
build a prayer hall after obtaining permission for
constructing a residential premises. More than 100 villagers
were arrested in connection with the violence.
The memorandum also demanded a departmental inquiry and
transfer of the district Superintendent of Police, accusing
him of `functioning` against the villagers.
More than 500 police personnel have been deployed in the
town as a precautionary measure in view of the rally taken out
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference