Rights violations on arrested party leaders: DMK
New Delhi: With several of its senior leaders
in jail on alleged land grabbing charges, DMK on Tuesday accused
the Tamil Nadu government of violating the directions of the
Supreme Court while arresting them and sought President
Pratibha Patil`s intervention in the issue.
A delegation of DMK ministers and MPs led by its
Parliamentary Party leader TR Baalu met Patil at the
Rashtrapati Bhawan here and alleged that their arrested
leaders were being subjected to "human rights violations".
The MPs, including Dayanidhi Maran and ministers of state
SS Palanimanickam and Gandhi Selvan, said in a memorandum
that the AIADMK government has constituted a special force to
look into land grabbing during the DMK regime in a bid to
"tarnish the public image" of the party.
Several former ministers, including Veerapandi S
Arumugam, KN Nehru and K Ponmudi, and many DMK leaders were
arrested in the continuing crackdown by the Jayalalithaa
government on the land grabbing issue.
"The fundamental rights of the citizens are being
violated and the arrested people are subjected to human rights
violations. The observations made by Supreme Court on how to
deal with an arrested person are not being followed at all,"
Rajya Sabha MP Tiruchi Siva told reporters after the meeting.
He alleged that the AIADMK government was "silent" on
complaints of land grabbing against its ministers, MLAs and
"The DMK leaders are being arrested in midnight and are
taken away to prisons far away from their homes so as to
prevent their relatives to meet. An undeclared Emergency
situation is prevailing in the state," he said.
The DMK leaders said the President gave a patient hearing
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy