SC dismisses TN govt`s petition against Alagiri`s son
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed a petition filed by the Tamil Nadu government challenging the anticipatory bail granted to Union minister MK Alagiri`s son Durai Dayanidhi in the alleged multi-crore granite quarrying scam.
A bench comprising justices H L Dattu and Ranjan Gogoi also refused to interfere with the Madras High Court decision quashing a non-bailable arrest warrant against Dayanidhi.
The bench, however, asked Dayanidhi to cooperate with the investigation of the case and gave liberty to the state government that it can approach the apex court in case of non-assistance by the accused.
On December 10, 2012, the high court had granted relief to Dayanidhi and directed him to surrender his passport and also to appear daily at the Melur police station, where the case is registered against him, until further orders.
The NBW against Dayanidhi was ordered by judicial magistrate at Melur in Madurai district on a police plea in October.
Dayanidhi and nine others are facing charges that firms owned by them had mined sand and granite without permission.
On a complaint from the local village administrative officer, police had charged Dayanidhi and Nagarajan, partners in Olympus Granites Pvt Ltd, with encroaching on adjacent government land and taking away large quantity of granite illegally without quarrying in the permitted area and causing loss of Rs 44 crore to the government by illegal quarrying.
Cases had been registered under various IPC sections including 120(b) (criminal conspiracy), 447 (criminal trespass) and 420 (cheating) against them.
Government had cracked down on several firms after former Madurai collector U Sahayam in a report, estimated the losses incurred from illegal granite mining at around Rs 16,000 crore.
Police had alerted immigration authorities to help them in preventing Dayanidhi and other accused from leaving the country. The companies` accounts had already been frozen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH