Security tightened following terror threat
Udhagamandalam: Security has been tightened and search intensified in Wellington area, housing the Madras Regiment Centre and Defence Staff Service College (DSSC) following a threat alert of a possible terrorist strike, police on Sunday said.
The Intelligence Bureau has sent a report on the threat alert to DSSC, based on which the College lodged a complaint with police, they said.
As part of strengthening security, police are engaged in taking details of persons staying and coming in some 20 villages in and round Wellington, around 30 km from here, seeking identity and ration cards and other domicile documents, police said.
People who enter the seven wards, coming under Cantonment Board, are being screened, by taking minute details of their whereabouts. Moreover, police have taken many group photos of some 24,000 villagers for the last two days, they said.
When contacted, a senior army official, who did not want to be identified, said DSSC has received a threat report of infiltration or possible terrorist strike in area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre