`Set up spl courts under SC/ST(Prevention of Atrocities) Act`
Chennai: A PIL has been filed in the Madras High Court, seeking a direction to the Tamil Nadu government to set up exclusive special courts under Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act and Protection of Civil Rights Act in all atrocity-prone districts.
The first bench, comprising Chief Justice MY Eqbal and Justice T S Sivagnanam ordered notice to the authorities, returnable in four weeks.
Social activist A Narayanan in his petition said as per Section 14 of the SC and ST Act, government should have set up such courts in all districts. However, these were functioning only in Tiruchirappalli, Thanjavur, Tirunelveli and Madurai districts.
He said the 2011 census showed 19 per cent of people in the state belong to SC and 1.04 per cent ST. Tamil Nadu has the fifth largest Dalit population in the country.
Narayanan cited a report of the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, which said the list of "Identified Areas" or "Atrocity Prone Areas", designated by the Tamil Nadu government are 28 districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?