SpiceJet connects Madurai to Delhi and Mumbai
Madurai, Tamil Nadu: Low-cost airline SpiceJet Monday added Madurai to its route map, connecting the temple town with daily flights to Delhi and Mumbai via Chennai.
"Madurai is the gateway to south Tamil Nadu and is also known as the cultural capital of the state. We are happy to announce Madurai- home to famous Meenakshi temple- as our 20th destination," the airline said.
The airline`s Boeing 737-800, named Cardomum, landed in Madurai from Chennai around 9.45 am with the traditional water salute accorded to it.
According to SpiceJet officials, Madurai is the first new destination added by the carrier to its route map after Sun TV Network promoter Kalanithi Maran bought into the airline through KAL Airways Pvt Ltd in June this year for around Rs.750 crore.
SpiceJet will go international next month, launching flights to Kathmandu Oct 7 and Colombo in Sri Lanka Oct 9.
The airline met the government`s criteria for starting international operations in May as it completed five years of operations and augmented a fleet of more than 20 aircraft.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH