Sri Lanka President offers worship at Tirupati shr
Tirupati: Amid tight security, Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa and his wife Shiranthi on Saturday offered worship at the famous hill shrine of Lord Venkateswara near here.
Rajapaksa was in the temple for about 40 minutes. Before offering worship, he took part in the `Suprabhatha` recitation ritual in the sanctum sanctorum, temple sources told a news agency.
Later, the temple priests blessed the couple while the shrine`s management presented them with a sacred silk cloth, prasadam and holy water.
Reacting to the widespread protests against his visit, Rajapaksa told reporters in a democratic country like India everybody has the right to protest.
"You people come to Sri Lanka to know the truth....," he said.
Rajapaksa had arrived here from Bodh Gaya last evening on a 17-hour pilgrimage amid protest by activists of DMK, MDMK and some outfits from Tamil Nadu who were taken into preventive custody.
Rajapaksa had commenced his two-day pilgrimage to India with a visit to Mahabodhi temple in Bodh Gaya in Bihar, where Lord Buddha attained enlightenment.
Various Tamil Nadu parties, including DMK and MDMK, staged protests charging him with making efforts to "annihilate" the ethnic Tamils in the island republic.
Leading the protest in Chennai yesterday, DMK chief M Karunanidhi, whose party is a key UPA ally, had alleged Rajapaksa was not only attempting to "annihilate" Tamils but also the Tamil language.
The protest was held under the banner of the Tamil Eelam Supporters Organisation, which Karunanidhi had revived some months ago.
Tight security arrangements had been put in place at the airport, along the 33-km road from the airport to Tirumala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM