Stalin, Kanimozhi court arrest over Jaya ‘witch-hunt’
Chennai: DMK leaders Kanimozhi, Dayanidhi Maran and MK Stalin along with party cadres on court arrest during “fill the jails" protest on Wednesday. The agitation is being held to condemn the continuing arrests of former DMK ministers and other party members.
Former Union Ministers Dayanidhi Maran and TR Baalu, MPS, also courted arrest during the protest which Stalin claimed was an overwhelming success.
Kanimozhi, accused in the 2G case, lashed out at the "vindictive politics," of the AIADMK government and alleged that her party leaders were being arrested without any proof.
Around 50,000 party members are participating in the ‘jail bharo andolan’.
Several leaders, including Veerapandi S Arumugam, now detained under the stringent Goondas Act, KN Nehru, K Ponmudy, KPP Samy, I Periasamy and J Anbazhagan have been arrested on charges of land grab and murder after the AIADMK came to power last year.
DMK supremo Karunanidhi told reporters that his party workers would not be cowed down by the government`s "intimidating tactics."
"To reduce the participation (in the protest), they adopted tactics such as warning us with 15-day remand upon arrest or lodging in jails in Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh. But none was cowed down, none is bothered," he said.
He claimed that the protest was a big success.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details