Stalin, Kanimozhi court arrest over Jaya ‘witch-hunt’
Chennai: DMK leaders Kanimozhi, Dayanidhi Maran and MK Stalin along with party cadres on court arrest during “fill the jails" protest on Wednesday. The agitation is being held to condemn the continuing arrests of former DMK ministers and other party members.
Former Union Ministers Dayanidhi Maran and TR Baalu, MPS, also courted arrest during the protest which Stalin claimed was an overwhelming success.
Kanimozhi, accused in the 2G case, lashed out at the "vindictive politics," of the AIADMK government and alleged that her party leaders were being arrested without any proof.
Around 50,000 party members are participating in the ‘jail bharo andolan’.
Several leaders, including Veerapandi S Arumugam, now detained under the stringent Goondas Act, KN Nehru, K Ponmudy, KPP Samy, I Periasamy and J Anbazhagan have been arrested on charges of land grab and murder after the AIADMK came to power last year.
DMK supremo Karunanidhi told reporters that his party workers would not be cowed down by the government`s "intimidating tactics."
"To reduce the participation (in the protest), they adopted tactics such as warning us with 15-day remand upon arrest or lodging in jails in Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh. But none was cowed down, none is bothered," he said.
He claimed that the protest was a big success.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand