State consumer forum directs SASTRA varsity to return fees
Madurai: Madurai Bench of Tamil Nadu State Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission on Monday directed private SASTRA University to refund advance fees collected from a student, who after completing the first year of his course, joined another college.
Upholding the last year`s order of Tiruchirappalli District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum`s directive last year to Thanjavur-based SASTRA University Registrar to refund Rs.1.12 lakh to the B.Tech student, B S Manohar, the commission also ordered him to return the original certificates.
Manohar, who discontinued his B.Tech course in the third semester, had submitted that when he wanted to shift to another institution he was told that his certificates would be given only if he paid the fees for the next five semesters.
But even after he paid the advance fees, the university refused to return his certificates.
The district forum had held that it was deficiency of service and directed the registrar to refund the fee to the student along with six per cent interest.
The Registrar, in his appeal against the district forum`s order, said as per the University rules and regulations the student was not entitled to get the refund.
Rejecting the appeal, Judicial Member J.Jayaraman and Member S.Sambandan of the commission ruled the university`s refusal to return the original certificates and the fee amounted to deficiency in service and also unfair practice.
They, however, said the university need not pay interest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?