Suspected ISI operative NSA detention challenged in HC
Madurai: The wife of a suspected ISI operative arrested on the charge of spying has moved the Madurai Bench of Madras High Court challenging his detention under the National Security Act.
When the petition came up for hearing, Justice KN Basha and P Devadoss ordered notice to the Union Home Secretary, Secretary (Public-Law and Order) the SP of Central Prison in Thiruchirappalli.
Thamin Ansari, a native of Athirampattinam near Pattukottai in Thanjavur District, was arrested in Tiruchirapalli on September 17 when he was to take a flight to Sri Lanka.
He was found carrying 25 CDs and photographs of various important installations in the state, allegedly to be supplied to a Pakistani diplomat in Sri Lanka. He was later detained under the NSA.
In her petition, Nabila, wife of Ansari, submitted that her husband was innocent and a member of CPI-M and SFI.
She alleged Police obtained forcefully the confessional statement from the detained and arraigned him as accused in the case and hence the detention order should be quashed.
The petitioner claimed Ansari was taken into custody on September 16 and kept in illegal custody till the next day. The detaining authorities failed to supply the remand extension orders twice.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Saradha scam: ED summons P Chidambaram's wife Nalini
- Half the town is gone, says Amatrice mayor as 6.2-magnitude earthquake strikes central Italy; toll rises to 14
- Katrina Kaif and Varun Dhawan to go dancing in 'ABCD 3'?
- Gadkari to meet FM Jaitley today for vehicle scrapping policy
- Hot scoop! THIS actress has replaced Alia Bhatt in Rohit Shetty's next?