Tight security in prison for Rajiv’s assassins
Vellore: With September 9 fixed for hanging of the three death row convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case Murugan, Perarivalan and Santhan, the high-security prison at Vellore, where they are lodged has come under a security blanket amidst a growing demand for their clemency.
A three-tier security has been put in place in and around the prison with armed guards being posted as part of security.
While police have cordoned off the area restricting public movement, access control measures have been put in place for visitors to the prison.
Scores of pro-Tamil groups and leaders, including MDMK founder Vaiko had staged a fast and organized human chains among other forms of protest across the state even as Vellore prison authorities are gearing up for execution of the three persons, who are likely to move the court on Monday against the Presidential rejection of the clemency petitions.
Political leaders, including PMK founder Dr S Ramadoss and Vaiko have already demanded intervention of Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, whom the trio had sent a petition.
DMK president and former Chief Minister M Karunanidhi, whose party is a key constituent of the Congress-led UPA at the Centre, had demanded intervention of Congress President Sonia Gandhi in this matter.
It was at her behest that the death sentence of another convict, Nalini, was commuted to death sentence a few years back in the same case.
Meanwhile, TNCC President K V Thankgabalu slammed the protests demanding clemency, saying rules cannot be bent for individuals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog