Tight security in prison for Rajiv’s assassins
Vellore: With September 9 fixed for hanging of the three death row convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case Murugan, Perarivalan and Santhan, the high-security prison at Vellore, where they are lodged has come under a security blanket amidst a growing demand for their clemency.
A three-tier security has been put in place in and around the prison with armed guards being posted as part of security.
While police have cordoned off the area restricting public movement, access control measures have been put in place for visitors to the prison.
Scores of pro-Tamil groups and leaders, including MDMK founder Vaiko had staged a fast and organized human chains among other forms of protest across the state even as Vellore prison authorities are gearing up for execution of the three persons, who are likely to move the court on Monday against the Presidential rejection of the clemency petitions.
Political leaders, including PMK founder Dr S Ramadoss and Vaiko have already demanded intervention of Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, whom the trio had sent a petition.
DMK president and former Chief Minister M Karunanidhi, whose party is a key constituent of the Congress-led UPA at the Centre, had demanded intervention of Congress President Sonia Gandhi in this matter.
It was at her behest that the death sentence of another convict, Nalini, was commuted to death sentence a few years back in the same case.
Meanwhile, TNCC President K V Thankgabalu slammed the protests demanding clemency, saying rules cannot be bent for individuals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Germany's top immigration officer anticipates 300,000 refugees in 2016
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers