TN Governor distributes degrees
Madurai: Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosiah on Wednesday presented PhD degrees to the students of the Madurai Kamaraj
University here at its convocation here.
Dr G Padmanabhan, former director and Honourary Professor
of Indian Institute of Science/ NASI-Platinum Jubilee chair,
in his speech said only two dozen universities out of 600 in
Tamil Nadu were contributing to worthwhile research.
Only Central universities were in a much better position as
regards to funding and infrastructure, he said.
He said even the best Indian universities figured between
200-300 in international ranking. He said efforts should be
made to convert Research and Development into products useful
He said universities should take steps to mentor the
students and set up a counselling centre to help them beyond
their courses and projects. Universities should also
collaborate with several groups at the international
"We need to break the barriers and go beyond our own small
groups to reach out to collaborators, including industry to
attack major problems facing the society through R and D.
T S Sridhar Additional Chief Secretary Government,
Department of Higher Education, said the University
got research grants from various funding agencies to the tune
of Rs 202 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS