TN Governor distributes degrees
Madurai: Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosiah on Wednesday presented PhD degrees to the students of the Madurai Kamaraj
University here at its convocation here.
Dr G Padmanabhan, former director and Honourary Professor
of Indian Institute of Science/ NASI-Platinum Jubilee chair,
in his speech said only two dozen universities out of 600 in
Tamil Nadu were contributing to worthwhile research.
Only Central universities were in a much better position as
regards to funding and infrastructure, he said.
He said even the best Indian universities figured between
200-300 in international ranking. He said efforts should be
made to convert Research and Development into products useful
He said universities should take steps to mentor the
students and set up a counselling centre to help them beyond
their courses and projects. Universities should also
collaborate with several groups at the international
"We need to break the barriers and go beyond our own small
groups to reach out to collaborators, including industry to
attack major problems facing the society through R and D.
T S Sridhar Additional Chief Secretary Government,
Department of Higher Education, said the University
got research grants from various funding agencies to the tune
of Rs 202 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state