TN Governor distributes degrees
Madurai: Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosiah on Wednesday presented PhD degrees to the students of the Madurai Kamaraj
University here at its convocation here.
Dr G Padmanabhan, former director and Honourary Professor
of Indian Institute of Science/ NASI-Platinum Jubilee chair,
in his speech said only two dozen universities out of 600 in
Tamil Nadu were contributing to worthwhile research.
Only Central universities were in a much better position as
regards to funding and infrastructure, he said.
He said even the best Indian universities figured between
200-300 in international ranking. He said efforts should be
made to convert Research and Development into products useful
He said universities should take steps to mentor the
students and set up a counselling centre to help them beyond
their courses and projects. Universities should also
collaborate with several groups at the international
"We need to break the barriers and go beyond our own small
groups to reach out to collaborators, including industry to
attack major problems facing the society through R and D.
T S Sridhar Additional Chief Secretary Government,
Department of Higher Education, said the University
got research grants from various funding agencies to the tune
of Rs 202 crore.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed