TN LPG transporters call off stir
Chennai: In a big relief to thousands of LPG
customers in the Southern region, Tanker lorry owners have
called-off their indefinite strike following talks with oil
marketing companies convened by the state government.
The strike was called off at 0145 hrs today after a 10-hour
meeting on Wednesday, government sources said.
LPG supplies were crippled after Southern region LPG
Tanker Lorry Owners Association went on an indefinite stir
since midnight of Feb29,pressing various demands including
floating new transport rates and inducting about 500 truckers.
With talks on March 3 remaining inconclusive, another round
of talks between the oil marketing companies and Association
members were held on March 7 in the presence of Civil Supplies
and Consumer Protection Commissioner P M Basheer Ahamed.
"The meeting went on for over 10 hours on Wednesday and
concluded around 1.45am.They (Association) have decided to
withdraw the stir. We have asked them to reach a settlement
among themselves (between oil marketing firms and association)
in the next 30 days", a senior government official said.
Since, the strike has been called off, the association has
decided to operate the trucks immediately, he said.
"The oil marketing companies have offered Rs 2.50 per ton
per km.The Association has been demanding more.Now,given the
crisis situation which is largely affecting the consumers,
they have been asked to withdraw the strike... We have asked
them to iron out the issues among themselves..." he said.
Southern Region LPG Tanker Lorry Owners Association
President M Ponnambalam said the trucks were already operating
across the States besides Goa and Puducherry."They have asked
us to settle the issue in the next 30 days." he said.
According to Association sources, there would be another
round of talks at the oil marketing companies` headquarters.
The final tender rates is expected to be finalised in the
meeting, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand