TN LPG transporters call off stir
Chennai: In a big relief to thousands of LPG
customers in the Southern region, Tanker lorry owners have
called-off their indefinite strike following talks with oil
marketing companies convened by the state government.
The strike was called off at 0145 hrs today after a 10-hour
meeting on Wednesday, government sources said.
LPG supplies were crippled after Southern region LPG
Tanker Lorry Owners Association went on an indefinite stir
since midnight of Feb29,pressing various demands including
floating new transport rates and inducting about 500 truckers.
With talks on March 3 remaining inconclusive, another round
of talks between the oil marketing companies and Association
members were held on March 7 in the presence of Civil Supplies
and Consumer Protection Commissioner P M Basheer Ahamed.
"The meeting went on for over 10 hours on Wednesday and
concluded around 1.45am.They (Association) have decided to
withdraw the stir. We have asked them to reach a settlement
among themselves (between oil marketing firms and association)
in the next 30 days", a senior government official said.
Since, the strike has been called off, the association has
decided to operate the trucks immediately, he said.
"The oil marketing companies have offered Rs 2.50 per ton
per km.The Association has been demanding more.Now,given the
crisis situation which is largely affecting the consumers,
they have been asked to withdraw the strike... We have asked
them to iron out the issues among themselves..." he said.
Southern Region LPG Tanker Lorry Owners Association
President M Ponnambalam said the trucks were already operating
across the States besides Goa and Puducherry."They have asked
us to settle the issue in the next 30 days." he said.
According to Association sources, there would be another
round of talks at the oil marketing companies` headquarters.
The final tender rates is expected to be finalised in the
meeting, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh