TN parties set to speed up process of firming up alliances
Chennai: With just 17 days left for filing of
nominations to begin for the April 13 Assembly polls in Tamil Nadu, political parties are set to hasten the process of
firming up alliances.
The ruling DMK, which had completed the seat sharing
exercise with minor allies like PMK, Viduthalai Chiruthaigal
Katchi, IUML and Movendar Munnetra Kazhagam, is to yet to do
so with its major ally Congress.
Congress and DMK had several rounds of talks which,
however, got bogged down with the former insisting on more
number of seats this time.
A final picture is likely to emerge tomorrow or day after,
with the AICC general secretary in charge of Tamil Nadu,
Ghulam Nabi Azad rushing here to sort out various issues.
Congress sources said the party was likely to settle for
50 to 60 seats, amid reports that it had pitched for over 80
seats as against the 48 allotted last time.
DMK said its President and Chief Minister M Karunanidhi
would interview from March 8-13 partymen who had sought ticket
to contest the elections.
In the AIADMK front, seat sharing exercise has been
completed with minor parties like Puthiya Tamizhagam, RPI,
AIFB, All India Movender Munnetra Kazhagam but yet to begin
with major allies like MDMK and the left parties.
AIADMK is awaiting actor Vijaykant`s DMDMK to come out
with its stand. DMDMK, which has a potential to play
spoilsport, would be the second biggest party in the alliance,
in the event of it joining the AIADMK-led Front.
The poll schedule announced by the Election Commission
gives parties a shorter time for campaigning as compared to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’