TN parties set to speed up process of firming up alliances
Chennai: With just 17 days left for filing of
nominations to begin for the April 13 Assembly polls in Tamil Nadu, political parties are set to hasten the process of
firming up alliances.
The ruling DMK, which had completed the seat sharing
exercise with minor allies like PMK, Viduthalai Chiruthaigal
Katchi, IUML and Movendar Munnetra Kazhagam, is to yet to do
so with its major ally Congress.
Congress and DMK had several rounds of talks which,
however, got bogged down with the former insisting on more
number of seats this time.
A final picture is likely to emerge tomorrow or day after,
with the AICC general secretary in charge of Tamil Nadu,
Ghulam Nabi Azad rushing here to sort out various issues.
Congress sources said the party was likely to settle for
50 to 60 seats, amid reports that it had pitched for over 80
seats as against the 48 allotted last time.
DMK said its President and Chief Minister M Karunanidhi
would interview from March 8-13 partymen who had sought ticket
to contest the elections.
In the AIADMK front, seat sharing exercise has been
completed with minor parties like Puthiya Tamizhagam, RPI,
AIFB, All India Movender Munnetra Kazhagam but yet to begin
with major allies like MDMK and the left parties.
AIADMK is awaiting actor Vijaykant`s DMDMK to come out
with its stand. DMDMK, which has a potential to play
spoilsport, would be the second biggest party in the alliance,
in the event of it joining the AIADMK-led Front.
The poll schedule announced by the Election Commission
gives parties a shorter time for campaigning as compared to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'