TN: Sankararaman murder case hearing adjourned
Puducherry: A local court Tuesday adjourned to
March 30 hearing in the Sankararaman murder case in which the Kanchi seer Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra Saraswathi are the prime accused.
Special Public Prosecutor N.Devadoss said the stay on the
trial given by Madras High court on August 25 on a writ petition filed by a Chennai-based advocate was still in force and hence the proceedings stood adjourned.
The petitioner had sought a stay on the trial and a
direction to Registrar (Vigilance) to commence a statutory
investigation by filing an FIR on his complaint regarding
video tapes containing purported phone conversations allegedly
to influence judgement in the case.
Only six of the 24 accused were present in the court
today when the case came up before Principal District and
Sessions Judge T Ramasamy and the absentees included the two
seers who have been charged under IPC sections 302 (murder)
and 120-B (criminal conspiracy).
Sankararaman was the Manager in the Varadarajaperumal
temple in Kancheepuram and was allegedly murdered in his
office on the premises of the temple on September 3, 2004. The
trial was shifted from Chengalpattu court to Puducherry as per
the Supreme Court order given on a petition filed before the
apex court by the Kanchi seer in October 2005.
A total of 189 witnesses were examined and cross-examined
in the case and of them 87 have turned hostile.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another