TN: Situation in Kudankulam returns to normal
Kudankulam : The situation in and around Kudankulam including nearby Idindhakarai, which witnessed heightened protests against loading of fuel in the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant a few days ago, has returned to normal, officials claimed on Saturday.
Buses were being operated to all the sensitive areas though Police have been posted to monitor the situation.
The services were disrupted since September 10 after anti-nuclear activists intensified their stir, protesting against authorities clearance for loading of fuel.
Officials said fishermen from Idinthakarai and surrounding areas would resume fishing from tomorrow.
Anti-nuclear activists had today given a call to lay siege to the coastal areas but the call did not evoke much response,officials said.
The protesters undertook a `graveyard protest` on September 25 to seek their forefathers` blessings for success of their stir against filling of uranium fuel in the plant.
The stir, spearheaded by the Peoples Movement Against Nuclear Energy, took a violent turn on September 10, leading to the death of a fishermen in police firing in Tuticorin district.
On September 13, PMANE activists stepped up their protest against KNPP by standing in sea water forming a human chain off nearby Idinthakarai coast.
The first unit was scheduled to be commissioned last December but had been delayed by the protests by locals on safety concerns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth