Toe party line or face action, Karunanidhi warns Alagiri
Chennai: Beleaguered DMK leader and party chief M Karunanidhi`s son MK Alagiri found himself in further trouble on Tuesday with his father and party chief rebuking him for his comments on alliance with DMDK and indicated that the Madurai-based leader could face action if he did not toe the party line.
What has turned out to be a bone of contention in his simmering rivalry with younger brother M K Stalin on leadership squabbles, Alagiri`s questioning of DMK`s willingness to forge a tie-up with DMDK seems to have boomeranged on him.
Karunanidhi`s rapping of Alagiri, a former party strongman in the southern city of Madurai, comes days after disbanding of local units in that town in the face of factionalism.
Sending clear signals to the former Union Fertilizer Minister, DMK high command had replaced the Madurai Urban unit with an an adhoc committee dominated by Stalin supporters on Saturday following some critical posters pasted by alleged Alagiri supporters.
The Madurai MP`s subsequent interview to a Tamil TV channel criticising DMDK founder Vijayakant and speaking against DMK aligning with the actor-politician, created furore in political circles even as he reportedly reaffirmed his stand that he will accept none other than Karunanidhi as his leader.
Stalin had openly snubbed his elder brother in Tiruchirappally yesterday when he not only batted for DMK`s alliance with DMDK, but also made a sarcastic remark that he doesn`t read such "unnecessary news items," when asked about Alagiri`s reported views against tie-up with Vijayakant`s party.
In a stern warning, Karunanidhi seemed not to take lightly Alagiri`s comments, saying it was not in consonance with his own earlier remark as party "president", where he had expressed joy if DMDK came into the DMK-led front.
If reports of Alagiri suggesting against a DMK-DMDK tie-up were true then "there is no connection between them and DMK," Karunanidhi said today, seeking to distance himself from his son`s remarks.
It was upto the Executive and General Council or the "authorised high command" to decide on alliance prospects, he told reporters here.
Alagiri`s remarks were in contrast to the statement made
by him welcoming DMK-DMDK alliance, and this was "not only regrettable but also condemnable," Karunanidhi said.
"I make it clear that those who make such unnecessary contrasting remarks and thus try to flout party discipline, whoever they are, disciplinary action will be initiated against them and they will be expelled, even from party membership," he said, adding, this decision applied to all DMK members at all times.
He also claimed that a section of media was not happy with DMK-DMDK alliance and was therefore making mischievous reports about leaders of either parties.
Differences between Alagiri and Stalin are well-known with both sparring on the issue of who would be the political heir to Karunanidhi.
While the 90-year-old DMK chief had at times hinted that Stalin could well be his successor, Alagiri had challenged that, saying he would not accept anyone other than Karunanidhi as his leader.
Prior to the 2011 elections when AIADMK stormed to power, Madurai was believed to be Alagiri`s bastion with the leader enjoying tremendous clout in the southern districts. He had been earlier made the party`s Organising Secretary, South.
But since DMK`s rout in the 2011 elections and the party`s withdrawal from the Congress-led UPA cabinet over the Sri Lankan Tamils issue last year, 63 year-old Alagiri has been maintaining a low profile.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly