Two Customs officials among three convicted in bribery case in TN
Chennai: Three persons, including two Customs Department officials, were on Wednesday convicted by a CBI court here in a bribery case.
XIV Additional Special Judge for CBI cases M Sambasivam convicted an Examiner and an Appraiser of Customs Department alongwith another person and sentenced them to one year rigorous imprisonment, a CBI release said.
Based on a complaint that Examiner V Deivasuga and Appraiser Manish Kanti Banik of Customs Department at Chennai Port Trust demanded a bribe of Rs 3,000 for clearing the consignment of car accessories imported by a company, in which the complainant was an employee, the CBI registered a case.
The complainant also alleged that he was directed to handover the bribe to one Chokkalingam, working unauthorisedly as contingent employee in container yard.
The CBI laid a trap and caught the accused red handed while taking the bribe and later filed a chargesheet against them under various sections of the Prevention of Corruption Act, 1988.
The Judge convicted all the three and sentenced them to one year Rigorous Imprisonment and also imposed a fine of Rs 3,000 on each of them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why