Andaman and Nicobar MP demands for assembly
Port Blair: The lone Member of Parliament of
Andaman and Nicobar Islands Bishnu Pada Ray said he will place
the demand for setting up of Assembly for the Union territory,
during the winter season of Parliament.
"Setting up of Assembly for Andaman and Nicobar Islands
is a long pending demand and I am going to place this demand
in Parliament during this session. I am carrying all necessary
documents along with me," Ray, the BJP MP from Andaman and
Nicobar Islands told a press conference here on Monday.
The Union Territory of Andaman and Nicobar Islands is
presently governed by a Lt Governor appointed by the President
Various political parties have been demanding setting up
of an Assembly, Mini-Assembly or Pradesh Council for Andaman
and Nicobar Islands.
"Islanders need a democratic set up in these Islands,"
Ray told PTI before leaving for New Delhi today.
Regarding implementation of Buffer Zone around Jarawa
Reserve Forest, the MP said that a committee of Supreme Court
would soon visit the Islands to see the ground realities
regarding implementation of Jarawa Buffer Zone.
"If that happens and subsequently if administration is
asked to implement Jarawa Buffer Zone strictly, nearly 40
villages, which falls under Buffer Zone, will have to be
evicted," pointed out Ray.
Buffer Zone is a five-km radius around the Jarawa Reserve
Forest of Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe