AAP to contest UP`s all 80 Lok Sabha seats
Lucknow: The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) will contest all the 80 Lok Sabha seats from Uttar Pradesh, party spokesman Sanjay Singh said.
Sanjay Singh, a close associate of AAP leader and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, said the party was pushing for clean and honest politics and hoped that issues like casteism and communalism will be relegated to the back burner.
He admitted these two issues have long stood ground in the state and that they were major challenges. But, he said, time has come to change traditional politics and the common man has embraced development as a major poll plank.
Sanjay Singh said the party will be finalising names soon and efforts would be made to announce the first list of its Lok Sabha poll candidates by Feb 15.
He underlined that the AAP candidates, like in New Delhi, would be common people, the `aam aadmi`.
He said the national executive of the party which met in Delhi Sunday has decided to field candidates in 20 states.
It was almost certain that poet Kumar Vishwas would contest against Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi in Amethi constituency, he added.
The AAP spokesman said the party will field candidates against Congress president and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi from Rae Bareli and Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Mulayam Singh Yadav in Mainpuri.
Earlier, Singh said people interested in contesting the Lok Sabha polls can fill forms till Jan 15 and that the aspirants would have to get the endorsement of at least 100 people from their probable constituencies.
Singh also met Shia cleric Kalbe Jawwad Monday and sought his support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leading in 82 seats, BJP in 47; counting underway
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena maintains lead in BMC poll results, begins celebrations in Mumbai; BJP leading in Pune, Nagpur