AAP to contest UP`s all 80 Lok Sabha seats
Lucknow: The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) will contest all the 80 Lok Sabha seats from Uttar Pradesh, party spokesman Sanjay Singh said.
Sanjay Singh, a close associate of AAP leader and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal, said the party was pushing for clean and honest politics and hoped that issues like casteism and communalism will be relegated to the back burner.
He admitted these two issues have long stood ground in the state and that they were major challenges. But, he said, time has come to change traditional politics and the common man has embraced development as a major poll plank.
Sanjay Singh said the party will be finalising names soon and efforts would be made to announce the first list of its Lok Sabha poll candidates by Feb 15.
He underlined that the AAP candidates, like in New Delhi, would be common people, the `aam aadmi`.
He said the national executive of the party which met in Delhi Sunday has decided to field candidates in 20 states.
It was almost certain that poet Kumar Vishwas would contest against Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi in Amethi constituency, he added.
The AAP spokesman said the party will field candidates against Congress president and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi from Rae Bareli and Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Mulayam Singh Yadav in Mainpuri.
Earlier, Singh said people interested in contesting the Lok Sabha polls can fill forms till Jan 15 and that the aspirants would have to get the endorsement of at least 100 people from their probable constituencies.
Singh also met Shia cleric Kalbe Jawwad Monday and sought his support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez