After BJP, tussle in Samajwadi Party over ‘taint’
Lucknow: In a pre-election shuffle, the Samajwadi Party in Uttar Pradesh removed Mohan Singh as its spokesperson on Thursday.
Ram Gopal Yadav has been appointed as the new party spokesperson.
The sacking came in the view of controversy relating to party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav’s son Akhilesh Yadav.
Mohan Singh had reportedly criticised Akhilesh publically for denying party ticket to the western UP strongman and history sheeter DP Yadav because of his criminal background.
DP Yadav is an accused in the Nitish Katara murder case.
Akhilesh had dismissed any prospect of DP Yadav joining the Samajwadi Party, saying that they have no place for criminals.
However, Mohan Singh has questioned Akhilesh`s authority in taking that decision.
Mohan Singh had said, "DP Yadav should be inducted into the party if he hasn`t done anything wrong. As per my information, there is no case registered against him. He has been a member of assembly, Lok Sabha & Rajya Sabha. Our local leaders have raised some objections. The matter is before the SP`s national leadership now. It wouldn`t be appropriate to comment on it right now."
However, reacting to the development, Mohan Singh said, "I don`t think the party has removed me on this count (D P Yadav). My health isn`t good, that is why they have removed me. I am thankful to the party."
He denied that he had spoken anything against Akhilesh Yadav. "I am extremely fond of him (Akhilesh). There has been a wrong campaign against me," he said.
Meanwhile, DP Yadav said from Badaun that Mohan Singh was punished for speaking the truth.
Alleging dictatorship in SP, he alleged that after appointment of Ram Gopal Yadav as the national spokesman "it has completely become the party of one family."
"Akhilesh wanted that I should go to him and beg for ticket, but I will never do so," he said.
It should be noted that, Mulayam Singh`s brother Shiv Pal Yadav and Azam Khan were also backing DP Yadav`s induction into the party.
Azam Khan had gone as far as announcing his entry, till Akhilesh`s statement made him take back his words.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row