Akhilesh gives Rs 20 lakh to family of slain CRPF jawan
Allahabad: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Friday visited the house of a slain CRPF jawan, killed in an encounter with Naxals in Jharkhand, in the district and gave a bank draft of Rs 20 lakh, besides the deed for an acre of land, to his family.
Accompanied by senior officials of the state government, the Chief Minister visited Shiv Lal ka Purwa village situated in Nawabganj tehsil of the district`s trans-Ganga region, about 40 km from the city, where he met the wife and parents of the slain CRPF jawan Babulal Patel and garlanded his life-sized portrait erected near his house.
A 1.5 kg bomb had been found planted by Maoists inside the abdomen of Patel, who was killed on January 7 in an ambush in Jharkhand`s Latehar district.
After handing over the bank draft and the land deed papers, Yadav said "all possible help" would be given for the development of the village, which is devoid of basic amenities like electricity.
Later, the Chief Minister told reporters, "We are proud that a brave son of Uttar Pradesh has laid down his life (for) protecting the country. However, it is very painful to see somebody dying so young.
"It is a huge loss to his family which can never be fully compensated. But the government will certainly extend all possible help," he said.
He, however, evaded queries relating to the `public pressure` that preceded his visit to the slain soldier`s village.
Patel`s family had gone on hunger strike demanding financial aid, which they ended after a couple of days following an assurance that the Chief Minister would call on them on January 25.
The CRPF too had reportedly written to the state government requesting "additional financial assistance" for the bereaved family.
Besides, a demand was raised by political outfit Apna Dal, which claims to enjoy the support of Kurmi caste group to which Patel belonged, for financial assistance of Rs 25 lakh from the state government and Rs 50 lakh from the Centre in addition to a government job to one of the slain jawan`s dependants.
Patel was among a number of CRPF personnel who were killed in a Maoist ambush in Latehar district of Jharkhand earlier this month.
The explosive device found in his stomach was later defused by a bomb disposal squad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened