Akhilesh gives Rs 20 lakh to family of slain CRPF jawan
Allahabad: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Friday visited the house of a slain CRPF jawan, killed in an encounter with Naxals in Jharkhand, in the district and gave a bank draft of Rs 20 lakh, besides the deed for an acre of land, to his family.
Accompanied by senior officials of the state government, the Chief Minister visited Shiv Lal ka Purwa village situated in Nawabganj tehsil of the district`s trans-Ganga region, about 40 km from the city, where he met the wife and parents of the slain CRPF jawan Babulal Patel and garlanded his life-sized portrait erected near his house.
A 1.5 kg bomb had been found planted by Maoists inside the abdomen of Patel, who was killed on January 7 in an ambush in Jharkhand`s Latehar district.
After handing over the bank draft and the land deed papers, Yadav said "all possible help" would be given for the development of the village, which is devoid of basic amenities like electricity.
Later, the Chief Minister told reporters, "We are proud that a brave son of Uttar Pradesh has laid down his life (for) protecting the country. However, it is very painful to see somebody dying so young.
"It is a huge loss to his family which can never be fully compensated. But the government will certainly extend all possible help," he said.
He, however, evaded queries relating to the `public pressure` that preceded his visit to the slain soldier`s village.
Patel`s family had gone on hunger strike demanding financial aid, which they ended after a couple of days following an assurance that the Chief Minister would call on them on January 25.
The CRPF too had reportedly written to the state government requesting "additional financial assistance" for the bereaved family.
Besides, a demand was raised by political outfit Apna Dal, which claims to enjoy the support of Kurmi caste group to which Patel belonged, for financial assistance of Rs 25 lakh from the state government and Rs 50 lakh from the Centre in addition to a government job to one of the slain jawan`s dependants.
Patel was among a number of CRPF personnel who were killed in a Maoist ambush in Latehar district of Jharkhand earlier this month.
The explosive device found in his stomach was later defused by a bomb disposal squad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal