Akhilesh gives Rs 20 lakh to family of slain CRPF jawan
Allahabad: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Friday visited the house of a slain CRPF jawan, killed in an encounter with Naxals in Jharkhand, in the district and gave a bank draft of Rs 20 lakh, besides the deed for an acre of land, to his family.
Accompanied by senior officials of the state government, the Chief Minister visited Shiv Lal ka Purwa village situated in Nawabganj tehsil of the district`s trans-Ganga region, about 40 km from the city, where he met the wife and parents of the slain CRPF jawan Babulal Patel and garlanded his life-sized portrait erected near his house.
A 1.5 kg bomb had been found planted by Maoists inside the abdomen of Patel, who was killed on January 7 in an ambush in Jharkhand`s Latehar district.
After handing over the bank draft and the land deed papers, Yadav said "all possible help" would be given for the development of the village, which is devoid of basic amenities like electricity.
Later, the Chief Minister told reporters, "We are proud that a brave son of Uttar Pradesh has laid down his life (for) protecting the country. However, it is very painful to see somebody dying so young.
"It is a huge loss to his family which can never be fully compensated. But the government will certainly extend all possible help," he said.
He, however, evaded queries relating to the `public pressure` that preceded his visit to the slain soldier`s village.
Patel`s family had gone on hunger strike demanding financial aid, which they ended after a couple of days following an assurance that the Chief Minister would call on them on January 25.
The CRPF too had reportedly written to the state government requesting "additional financial assistance" for the bereaved family.
Besides, a demand was raised by political outfit Apna Dal, which claims to enjoy the support of Kurmi caste group to which Patel belonged, for financial assistance of Rs 25 lakh from the state government and Rs 50 lakh from the Centre in addition to a government job to one of the slain jawan`s dependants.
Patel was among a number of CRPF personnel who were killed in a Maoist ambush in Latehar district of Jharkhand earlier this month.
The explosive device found in his stomach was later defused by a bomb disposal squad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing