Akhilesh gives Rs 20 lakh to family of slain CRPF jawan
Allahabad: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Friday visited the house of a slain CRPF jawan, killed in an encounter with Naxals in Jharkhand, in the district and gave a bank draft of Rs 20 lakh, besides the deed for an acre of land, to his family.
Accompanied by senior officials of the state government, the Chief Minister visited Shiv Lal ka Purwa village situated in Nawabganj tehsil of the district`s trans-Ganga region, about 40 km from the city, where he met the wife and parents of the slain CRPF jawan Babulal Patel and garlanded his life-sized portrait erected near his house.
A 1.5 kg bomb had been found planted by Maoists inside the abdomen of Patel, who was killed on January 7 in an ambush in Jharkhand`s Latehar district.
After handing over the bank draft and the land deed papers, Yadav said "all possible help" would be given for the development of the village, which is devoid of basic amenities like electricity.
Later, the Chief Minister told reporters, "We are proud that a brave son of Uttar Pradesh has laid down his life (for) protecting the country. However, it is very painful to see somebody dying so young.
"It is a huge loss to his family which can never be fully compensated. But the government will certainly extend all possible help," he said.
He, however, evaded queries relating to the `public pressure` that preceded his visit to the slain soldier`s village.
Patel`s family had gone on hunger strike demanding financial aid, which they ended after a couple of days following an assurance that the Chief Minister would call on them on January 25.
The CRPF too had reportedly written to the state government requesting "additional financial assistance" for the bereaved family.
Besides, a demand was raised by political outfit Apna Dal, which claims to enjoy the support of Kurmi caste group to which Patel belonged, for financial assistance of Rs 25 lakh from the state government and Rs 50 lakh from the Centre in addition to a government job to one of the slain jawan`s dependants.
Patel was among a number of CRPF personnel who were killed in a Maoist ambush in Latehar district of Jharkhand earlier this month.
The explosive device found in his stomach was later defused by a bomb disposal squad.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in