`Allahabad station stampede probe after clearing Kumbh rush`
Allahabad: Railways on Monday said a probe will be initiated into the railway station stampede here, which left 36 dead, once it is through with the task of clearing the rush of Kumbh pilgrims.
Alok Johri, the general manager of the North Central Railway zone, told a news agency, “Our top priority is to ensure a safe return journey for the thousands of pilgrims who visited the Kumbh Mela yesterday. We are plying about two dozen special trains today to facilitate this".
"Top officials of the state government, led by the Chief Secretary, are scheduled to visit later in the day. We will discuss the tragedy with them and share our inputs. A probe will follow once we are through with ferrying pilgrims back to the places they had arrived from", he said.
An inquiry committee was constituted late last night by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav into the stampede.
The committee, headed by the Board of Revenue Chairman Jagan Matthews, "would conduct an in-depth investigation into various aspects of the tragedy and submit its report to the government", official sources had said.
Meanwhile, nearly 6,000 additional buses were being run to clear the city in general and the Kumbh Mela area in particular of the exceptionally large number of devotees who had arrived to take a holy dip on the auspicious occasion of "Mauni Amavasya" and were still stuck up here, official sources said.
The administration claimed that nearly three crore devotees had visited the city since Saturday night for the bathing festival.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister