`Allahabad station stampede probe after clearing Kumbh rush`
Allahabad: Railways on Monday said a probe will be initiated into the railway station stampede here, which left 36 dead, once it is through with the task of clearing the rush of Kumbh pilgrims.
Alok Johri, the general manager of the North Central Railway zone, told a news agency, “Our top priority is to ensure a safe return journey for the thousands of pilgrims who visited the Kumbh Mela yesterday. We are plying about two dozen special trains today to facilitate this".
"Top officials of the state government, led by the Chief Secretary, are scheduled to visit later in the day. We will discuss the tragedy with them and share our inputs. A probe will follow once we are through with ferrying pilgrims back to the places they had arrived from", he said.
An inquiry committee was constituted late last night by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav into the stampede.
The committee, headed by the Board of Revenue Chairman Jagan Matthews, "would conduct an in-depth investigation into various aspects of the tragedy and submit its report to the government", official sources had said.
Meanwhile, nearly 6,000 additional buses were being run to clear the city in general and the Kumbh Mela area in particular of the exceptionally large number of devotees who had arrived to take a holy dip on the auspicious occasion of "Mauni Amavasya" and were still stuck up here, official sources said.
The administration claimed that nearly three crore devotees had visited the city since Saturday night for the bathing festival.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- Brexit shockwaves hit British jobs, consumer confidence
- Mandsaur Muslim women assault case: Four accused held as victims narrate tale of horror
- Rupee rules firm for 3rd day, up 10 paise to 67.04 Vs USD
- Mehbooba Mufti's Burhan Wani bombshell - WATCH what exactly she said
- BELIEVE IT OR NOT! This cricket team was bowled out of just 3 runs – Details inside