Buddhist school in UP seeks financial aid from Dalai Lama
Kushinagar (Uttar Pradesh): The lone Buddhist school in Kushinagar district, where Lord Buddha breathed his last, has appealed to the Dalai Lama and the Centre and the state government for financial help.
"Linh Son Buddhist D P higher secondary school, which is in its eighth year of running, gives educational aid to around 40 per cent of its 624 students most of whom are very poor and can`t afford good schools," school Principal Rajesh Singh told PTI.
"This is a school run on the basic principles of Buddhism, we don`t say `no` to any poor student who approaches us but we have a limitation. There is no help whatsoever from the central government and the state government," Singh said.
He appealed to the government and the Tibetan spiritual leader for financial aid for the cash-strapped institution.
"I appeal to the government in general and the Dalai Lama in particular for not just financial help but also request him to come to our school and enlighten these innocent souls," the principal said.
Even the students of the school echoed similar views, saying it would have been a great accomplishment and inspirational moment to meet the great Buddhist spiritual leader.
A sixth class student Abhishek told PTI, "We get very good education here despite limited resources, we are looking forward to see the Dalai Lama soon".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery