Bukhari stopped, later allowed to proceed to slain DSP`s home
Deoria (UP): Delhi`s Jama Masjid Shahi Imam Syed Ahmed Bukhari was stopped here on Monday afternoon for nearly two hours while he was on way to the native village of DSP Zia-ul-Haq who was killed by a mob last Saturday.
The cleric, who was stopped in Gauri Bazar area, was later allowed to proceed to police officer`s house in Zafuaar Tola in Noonkhar village, officials said.
Earlier, they said the step was taken as a precautionary measure.
"I was going to the police officer`s house to offer my condolences and take part in namaz-e-janaza. The authorities did not give any reason for stopping me," Bukhari told PTI by telephone.
The Shahi Imam, who was allowed to go after nearly two hours, alleged the Uttar Pradesh government had failed to provide security to Muslims in the state.
He said Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had accepted his demand for raising the ex gratia for the bereaved family and providing a job to the police officer`s widow.
The DSP was killed by a mob in Pratapgarh district on Saturday when he had rushed there after a village head was shot dead over a land dispute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love