Bureaucracy holding up Agra`s air connectivity?
Agra: The Kheria airport in Agra is ready to receive domestic airlines and international chartered flights ahead of a new tourist season beginning next month. But bureaucratic red tape and local politics are holding up air connectivity to the city of Taj from metros and international centres.
Two months ago, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had announced reducing value added tax (VAT) on jet fuel at the airport from 22 percent to four percent to make it attractive for airlines to fly in to Agra. "But the order of the CM is lost in bureaucratic tangle," Rajiv Tiwari, president of the Federation of Travel Agents Associations of India, said.
"If today the state government issues an ordinance on VAT reduction, Agra will become an attractive destination and aircraft will make a beeline to get fuelled here. But it`s obvious the government is not interested," Tiwari added.
Airlines have already released schedules for the new season and as expected Agra is missing in these. "Even now if the chief minister announces VAT reduction on jet fuel, things would change.
"Some airlines are willing and the local hospitality industry is ready to offer sops to visitors to promote air connectivity," said Tiwari.
Local industrialists say if the state government really wants to promote business, it should develop the Kheria airport, which is due for expansion. "All that is required is announcement of a reduction in VAT," Sandeep Arora, an industrialist, said.
"This certainly is not a new demand. The Chhattisgarh government did it and so did Punjab to promote Amritsar," added Arora.
Meanwhile, local competitive politics is playing its role. The state government has set in motion the process to appoint a consultant for a greenfield airport at a vantage point between Mathura and Agra. Pradeep Mathur, a local politician from Mathura, met the chief minister in Lucknow Tuesday asking him to give priority to Mathura`s Baldev area, close to the Yamuna Expressway.
However, the greenfield airport will encounter problems in seeking clearances from the Indian Air Force and the Environment Ministry. It has also to be from a safe distance from the Mathura Refinery of Indian Oil and the Bharatpur sanctuary in Rajasthan.
"It’s not going to be easy to acquire 1,500 acres of land after the Expressway experience," said social activist Shravan Kumar Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks