Centre and UP govt need to work together: Akhilesh
Kanpur: The Centre needs to work together and complement the efforts of the state government for bringing development in Uttar Pradesh as it is key to the progress of the country, Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav said on Monday.
Launching a 1980-MW thermal power project at Ghatampur, 60 kms here, the Chief Minister said it was an example of how his government was assisting the Centre in all possible ways to carry out development projects in the state.
Admitting that the state was grappling with a power crisis, Yadav said farmers were suffering the most due to the shortage.
"We do not have enough power for our 20 crore people in the state and we are forced to buy it from other states. The farmers are suffering due to loss of crops," the Samajwadi Party leader said, adding that the new power project, which will start functioning by 2015, will go a long way in dealing with the power shortage.
"If the the Centre and the state government work together like this, it will bring prosperity in the region and the country," Yadav said, adding that his government has started work on fulfilling many of its poll promises during the first 100 days of its tenure.
"We will not not only ensure that the farmers get the right price for their produce, we will also make arrangements for regular power supply," he said.
The Chief Minister said that the farmers who had to part with their land for the project will be given adequate compensation and job will be provided to one member of each family.
On the occasion, Union Coal Minister Sri Prakash Jaiswal laid the foundation stone for the project-- a joint venture of Navaratna company Neyveli Lignite Corporation and Uttar Pradesh Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam Ltd (UPRVUNL).
He said the project, which was one of the biggest in the state, will also give a boost to its industrial growth. "Unless the state develops its infrastructure, no industry will be ready to come here," he said.
The Union Minister said his department will ensure that the fuel needs of power plants anywhere in the state are met on priority basis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest