`Close Agra monuments in afternoon`
Agra: Employees at monuments in Taj city Agra should get a four-hour lunch break to give them some respite from the scorching heat, Federation of Travel Agents of India Rajiv Tiwari said here Monday.
"I have written to the ASI (Archaeological Survey of India) asking them to close the Taj Mahal and other monuments for three to four hours in the afternoon to save tourists and employees the nightmarish experience of getting roasted in this heat. Since the number of tourists has already fallen, it will make no difference if the monuments open at 4 p.m.," Tiwari said.
"Unsuspecting tourists who have no idea of the Agra heat will be spared the torturous trip. The ASI must forwarn and caution tourists at the gates of thee monuments to be prepared to face the heat," he added.
Tiwari said that "the ASI should provide shelters and air-conditioned tents in the premises of the monuments for tourists to spend a few minutes in them in case of emergencies".
The afternoon break at the monuments could continue till June 15, he added.
Agra recorded 43 degrees Celsius Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Oops! Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah gets kissed by woman in public — Watch video
- Iraqi army declares Fallujah fully liberated from Islamic State
- Priyanka Chopra opens up about her Hollywood debut 'Baywatch'! – Read more
- How al Qaeda radicalises youth and trains them, reveals arrested militant leader
- Government allows airlines to import up to 18 year old planes