Cong to protest BSP govt decisions on local bodies poll
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh unit of the
Congress today announced to launch an agitation at district
level on June 24 against BSP government`s decision to hold
partyless urban local bodies elections in the state.
"The party would observe black day, stage dharna and
demonstrations at district and city level and burn copies of
the notification issued by the state government on June 24,"
UPCC president Reeta Bahuguna Joshi said here.
Addressing a meeting of panchayati raj organisation,
she said that after this "chetavani diwas" (warning day) would
be division level.
If the government does not withdraw the notification,
which is against the democratic institutions, the party would
stage a massive demonstration at the state level, she said.
She said that the party was of the opinion that even
panchayat elections should be held on partylines.
The party will strongly contest forthcoming three-tier
panchayat elections and would strengthen its base further in
rural areas, the UPCC president said.
The state cabinet had recently given its nod to the UP
Municipalities (election of members, corporators, chairmen and
mayors) rules 2010 with prohibits urban local body polls on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof