Cong to protest BSP govt decisions on local bodies poll
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh unit of the
Congress today announced to launch an agitation at district
level on June 24 against BSP government`s decision to hold
partyless urban local bodies elections in the state.
"The party would observe black day, stage dharna and
demonstrations at district and city level and burn copies of
the notification issued by the state government on June 24,"
UPCC president Reeta Bahuguna Joshi said here.
Addressing a meeting of panchayati raj organisation,
she said that after this "chetavani diwas" (warning day) would
be division level.
If the government does not withdraw the notification,
which is against the democratic institutions, the party would
stage a massive demonstration at the state level, she said.
She said that the party was of the opinion that even
panchayat elections should be held on partylines.
The party will strongly contest forthcoming three-tier
panchayat elections and would strengthen its base further in
rural areas, the UPCC president said.
The state cabinet had recently given its nod to the UP
Municipalities (election of members, corporators, chairmen and
mayors) rules 2010 with prohibits urban local body polls on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past